SIU Investigating After OPP Officer Discharged ARWEN at Man in Bancroft
Case Number: 22-PFP-016
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-PFP-016
- After 1:30 p.m. on January 20, 2022, officers responded to a residence in Bancroft for a man in distress.
- Officers attempted to negotiate with the man, who had a knife.
- There was an interaction and the officer discharged an ARWEN at the man. Another officer discharged a Conducted Energy Weapon at the man.
- Officers apprehended him under the Mental Health Act. Paramedics transported him to hospital and he was released with no injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES