SIU Investigating Death of Man in Toronto
Case Number: 21-TOD-415
- At approximately 4:27 a.m. on October 29, 2021, Toronto Police Service received a call about the sound of a gunshot at Kennedy Road and Ellesmere Road.
- Officers responded and located a man on the ground.
- Paramedics arrived and transported the man to hospital where he died.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES