SIU Investigating After Police Discharged ARWEN at Barrie Man
Case Number: 21-OFP-403
- At approximately 9:45 a.m. on November 25, 2021, Barrie Police Service officers went to a residence on Innisfil Street in Barrie in response to a 911 call for a person in crisis.
- Officers attempted to negotiate with the man.
- There was an interaction, and police discharged an ARWEN and a Conducted Energy Weapon at the man.
- He was taken to hospital for assessment.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342