SIU Updates Investigation into Police Shooting Death of Man in Norfolk County
Case Number: 21-TFD-373
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-TFD-373
- Investigators have collected one police-issued firearm, which was sent to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for analysis.
- One subject official and seven witness officials have been designated at this time.
- Five witness officials have been interviewed.
- Two civilian witnesses have been interviewed.
- The post-mortem was conducted on November 4, 2021. The final post-mortem report has not yet been received.
- Mr. Kotanko’s next-of-kin are engaged in the SIU’s Affected Persons Program, which includes support services.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342