SIU Investigating After Toronto Police Officer Fired Less-Lethal Shotgun at Man
Case Number: 21-TFP-390
- At approximately 10 a.m. on November 15, 2021, officers responded to West Mall Bloor Plaza at 290 The West Mall for a man in distress.
- There was an interaction, and one officer discharged a less-lethal shotgun at the man, striking him with sock rounds. Another officer discharged a conducted energy weapon at the man.
- The man was taken into custody under the Mental Health Act and brought to hospital.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342