SIU Investigating Death of Man, 34, in Toronto
Case Number: 21-TCD-341
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-TCD-341
- At approximately 11:28 p.m. on October 9, 2021, Toronto Police Service officers went to a residence on Church Street for a man armed with a gun.
- After police arrived, the man barricaded himself in the unit. Police entered the unit and located the man in medical distress.
- Paramedics were called and the man died a short time later.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES