SIU Investigating ARWEN Discharge at Man in Markham
Case Number: 21-OFP-308
- At approximately 6:34 p.m. on September 16, 2021, the York Regional Police were acting on a warrant to enter an apartment on Inverlochy Boulevard to arrest a 35-year-old man.
- There was an interaction, and one officer discharged an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN) at the man.
- He was taken to hospital for assessment.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342