SIU Investigating Death of Chatham Man
Case Number: 21-OCD-306
- At approximately 2:08 p.m. on September 8, 2021, the Chatham Kent Police Service were called to a convenience store on Charing Cross Road in Chatham for a report of an unwanted man.
- The man was arrested. He was taken to the police station followed by the hospital as he was in distress.
- The man was treated for serious injuries in hospital and died the night of September 15, 2021.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342