SIU Investigating Serious Injury Suffered by Man During Windsor Police Interaction
Case Number: 21-OCI-299
- At approximately 12:25 a.m. on September 9, 2021, Windsor Police Service officers located a missing man in distress on Wyandotte Street East in Windsor.
- While officers were apprehending the man, there was an interaction with police and an officer discharged a conducted energy weapon at the man.
- The man was taken to hospital where he is being treated for serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342