SIU Investigating Death of Man in Ottawa
Case Number: 21-OCD-296
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OCD-296
- At approximately 12:13 p.m. on September 7, 2021, Ottawa Police Service officers responded to a call about a man in distress at Paden Road and Dwyer Hill Road.
- Ottawa Police Service’s tactical unit and tactical paramedics were dispatched.
- A tactical negotiator made contact with the man, who had a weapon.
- The man was located with critical injuries. Paramedics took the man to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES