SIU Investigating Police Pursuit, Driver Seriously Injured in Brampton
Case Number: 21-OVI-274
- At approximately 9:05 p.m., a Peel Regional Police officer was conducting radar when a driver passed him at high speed.
- The officer activated his cruiser’s emergency equipment and pursued the vehicle on Mayfield Avenue.
- The driver travelled into oncoming lanes, colliding head on with a vehicle on Mayfield Avenue, east of Torbram Road.
- The driver of the pursued vehicle was taken to a Toronto hospital with minor injuries.
- The driver of the vehicle that was struck was taken to a Toronto hospital with serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342