SIU Investigating Fatal Collision in Peterborough
Case Number: 21-OVD-248
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OVD-248
- At approximately 10:40 p.m. on August 6, 2021, a Peterborough Police Service (PPS) officer was conducting speed enforcement on Hwy #28.
- A south-bound motorist was observed travelling at a high rate of speed and went past the officer. The officer attempted to stop the motorist by activating the police vehicle’s emergency lighting system. The officer lost sight of the speeding motorist.
- A short time later, the officer came upon a multi-vehicle collision involving the motorist that he was attempting to stop.
- There were several injuries to the occupants of the vehicles. One occupant was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations