SIU Investigating Death of Man in Regent Park
Case Number: 21-TCD-208
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-TCD-208
- On July 4, 2021, Toronto Police Service (TPS) responded to a domestic dispute call.
- When officers checked the apartment, they were unable to locate the man.
- Another call came in for a man on the ground who was determined to be the person the police were looking for.
- The man was pronounced deceased shortly after midnight.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Loida Pedro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342