SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Arrest Outside Peterborough Grocery Store
Case Number: 21-OCI-159
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OCI-159
- At approximately 11:35 a.m. on May 19, 2021, Peterborough Police Service officers attended the No Frills grocery store located at 230 George Street West for a disturbance call.
- Officers located a 40-year-old man of interest in the south parking lot of the grocery store and a struggle ensued as officers attempted to arrest him.
- The man sustained a serious injury and was transported to hospital.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342