SIU Investigating Death of Man at Port Hope Hotel
Case Number: 21-POD-164
- At approximately 4:15 p.m. on May 24, 2021, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers responded to the Comfort Inn on Northumberland County Road 28 in relation to a call of a domestic nature.
- While the officers were in the hallway, they engaged in a discussion with a man from one of the rooms. The man then closed the door and the officers left.
- Later, OPP officers and Port Hope Police Service officers returned to the hotel to arrest the man. When he didn’t respond to officers knocking on the door, the officers left.
- At approximately 10 a.m. on May 25, 2021, the officers breached the hotel room door and found the man deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342