SIU Investigating Fatal Mini-Motorcycle Collision in St. Catharines
Case Number: 21-OVD-163
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OVD-163
- At approximately 10 a.m. on May 25, 2021, a Niagara Regional Police Service officer was traveling westbound on Welland Street when he observed a man without a helmet riding a mini-motorcycle eastbound on Welland Street. In addition, the mini-motorcycle was missing a licence plate.
- The officer proceeded to make a U-turn to follow the mini-motorcycle which then turned north onto York Street.
- A short time later, the mini-motorcycle turned left onto Taylor Street and struck a pole.
- The man was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342