SIU Investigating ARWEN Discharge in North Bay
Case Number: 21-PFP-142
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-PFP-142
- At approximately 2:50 p.m. on May 5, 2021, officers with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Emergency Response Team and officers with the North Bay Police Service Emergency Response Team surrounded a vehicle in the parking lot of a business on Lakeshore Drive. Inside the vehicle was a 22-year-old male passenger who was wanted on multiple warrants.
- When the man refused to exit the vehicle, an OPP officer discharged his ARWEN at the vehicle.
- The man came out of the vehicle and he was arrested. The driver of the vehicle was also arrested.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342