SIU Investigating After Police Officers Discharge Firearm at Man in Brampton
Case Number: 21-OFP-096
- At approximately 3 a.m. on March 28, 2021, PRP officers were dispatched to a residence on Adventura Road for reports of a woman screaming.
- Upon arrival, officers breached the door of the residence. They followed the sounds of screams, which led them to the garage.
- Inside the garage, officers encountered a man in the driver’s seat of the vehicle and a woman in the back seat.
- There was an interaction, and two officers discharged their firearms in the direction of the vehicle.
- While still in the vehicle, the man managed to flee from the garage with the woman still inside.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342