SIU Investigating Death of Man in Orangeville
Case Number: 21-OCD-091
- On the night of March 19, 2021, the Ontario Provincial Police was made aware of an altercation that had occurred between two individuals at a residence on Wellington Crescent in Orangeville.
- As a result, officers were dispatched to the residence, and attempts were made to negotiate with a 54-year-old man who was inside the residence.
- Just before 10 a.m. on March 20, 2021, officers entered the home and located the man in the basement. He had sustained a fatal gunshot wound.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342