SIU Investigating Collision in Hamilton
Case Number: 21-OVI-029
- At approximately 10:30 p.m. on January 24, 2021, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) attempted a traffic stop of a white Acura SUV traveling westbound on the QEW. The vehicle did not stop, and instead got off the QEW and went into Burlington. The Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) was made aware.
- The SUV traveled westbound on Highway 5 before going north towards Milton and then at some point returned to Highway 5 and continued westbound.
- A short time later in east Burlington, HRPS officers deployed a tire deflation device. The SUV made contact with the device but was able to proceed west on Highway 5.
- Just west of Highway 6, the SUV made contact with a HRPS cruiser resulting in the vehicle crashing into a ditch.
- The man was transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342