SIU Investigating After Police Officer Shoots Man in Scarborough
Case Number: 21-TFI-019
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-TFI-019
- At approximately 8 p.m. on January 14, 2021, Toronto Police Service officers encountered a vehicle of interest in the parking lot of Church’s Chicken, located in the area of Midland Avenue and Eglinton Avenue East.
- As officers attempted to block in the vehicle, the vehicle rammed into the police vehicles.
- There was an interaction, and one officer discharged his firearm. A 31-year-old man was struck. He was transported to hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound.
- In addition, two police officers were taken to hospital for treatment of injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342