SIU Investigating After Police Officer Shoots Man in Etobicoke
Case Number: 20-TFI-336
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TFI-336
- At approximately 4 p.m. on December 3, 2020, several individuals called 911 to report a man who was screaming and who was in possession of a sharp object in the area of Lake Shore Boulevard West and Twenty Fourth Street.
- Officers were dispatched to the area and they located the person of interest.
- There was an interaction, and one officer discharged his firearm. The man was struck. He was transported to hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342