SIU Investigating Markham Collision
Case Number: 20-TVI-282
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TVI-282
- On the afternoon of October 24, 2020, Toronto Police Service (TPS) officers located a vehicle of interest in the area of Steeles Avenue West and Bathurst Street in Toronto.
- Officers followed the vehicle through Toronto and through Markham.
- However, the driver managed to flee through the parking lot of the Markham Stouffville Hospital.
- A short time later at approximately 5:05 p.m., the vehicle, which had been traveling westbound on Highway 7, became involved in a collision with a civilian vehicle traveling eastbound. The collision occurred in the area of Wootten Way.
- The driver of the eastbound vehicle, a 55-year-old man, was taken to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342