July 16 Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Haliburton County
Case Number: 20-PFD-173
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PFD-173
- Four investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU have been assigned to the case. Investigators continue to make attempts to locate the man’s next-of-kin.
- The scene was searched yesterday, and those efforts will continue today. From the scene, a semi-automatic rifle and a pistol were collected. The firearms of two police officers were also secured.
- The post-mortem will be conducted tomorrow morning.
- Four officers from the Ontario Provincial Police have been designated as witness officers. Arrangements for interviews are underway.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations