SIU Investigating Death of Woman at Police Station in Niagara Falls
Case Number: 20-OCD-117
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCD-117
- Shortly after 5 p.m. on May 20, 2020, the woman was arrested in the area of Kitchener Street and Slater Avenue for breaching conditions. She was taken to the Niagara Regional Police Service station and lodged in a cell.
- At approximately 2 p.m. on May 21, 2020, the woman attended a tele-bail hearing. She was then returned to her cell.
- At 4:50 p.m., the woman was found unresponsive in her cell.
- Emergency Medical Services attended. The woman was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342