SIU Investigating Death of Man in Toronto
(29 April, 2023) ---
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 32-year-old man yesterday in Toronto.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- On the morning of April 28, 2023, the man was arrested in the area of Wellesley Street East and Jarvis Street and placed in a cruiser to be taken to the police station.
- When the man ingested a substance while in the cruiser, the officer re-routed the man to hospital.
- Later in the day, the man went vital signs absent and was pronounced deceased.
One investigator and one forensic investigator have been assigned to the case. The post-mortem is scheduled for tomorrow in Toronto.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation, including video or photos, to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 or online at: https://siu.on.ca/en/appeals.php
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES