SIU Investigating Death of Man in Long Sault
Case Number: 22-PCD-187
- At approximately 12:20 p.m. on July 22, 2022, Ontario Provincial Police officers were conducting a RIDE program on the Highway 401 westbound offramp at Moulinette Road. The man fled the area in a vehicle.
- A short time later, officers located the vehicle in a cornfield and the man was arrested. The man went into medical distress and officers provided CPR. Officers called EMS. Paramedics arrived and took over medical care. The man was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES