SIU Investigating Death of Man in Toronto
Case Number: 22-TOD-067
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-TOD-067
- At approximately 11 a.m. on March 6, 2022, first responders were dispatched to an address on Church Street and Carlton Street for a medical distress call.
- A Toronto Police Service officer administered Naloxone to the man.
- Upon arrival, Emergency Medical Services took over care of the man and he was transported to hospital.
- The man was pronounced deceased in hospital at 12:21 p.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES