SIU Investigating Death in Chapleau
Case Number: 22-PCD-018
- In the evening of January 20, 2022, Ontario Provincial Police officers responded to a residence in Chapleau for a call about a person in distress.
- An officer attempted to make contact with the person and received no response.
- In the early hours of January 21, 2022, Tactical Response Unit officers entered the residence and located the person deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES