SIU Investigating Reported Serious Injury of Woman Arrested by Hamilton Police Officers
Case Number: 21-OCI-405
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OCI-405
- On Friday, November 26, 2021, there was a protest outside Hamilton Police Service’s central station. During the demonstration, there were interactions between protesters and officers.
- Officers arrested three people. One woman who was arrested reportedly sustained a serious injury during the course of her arrest.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES