SIU Investigating Serious Injuries Suffered by Woman in Interaction with Hamilton Police Officers
Case Number: 21-OCI-357
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OCI-357
- At approximately 5:30 p.m. on October 22, 2021, officers responded to a report of a break and enter at a residence on Hilda Avenue.
- When police arrived, the woman fled and she was arrested a short distance away.
- The woman was taken to hospital where she was diagnosed with serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342