SIU Investigating Fatal Collision in Hamilton
Case Number: 21-OVD-326
- At approximately 9 a.m., on September 29, 2021, Hamilton Police Service responded to a 911 call for a two-vehicle collision in the area of King Street East and Gage Avenue South.
- The male driver of one of the vehicles involved in the collision fled. Officers in two cruisers located the vehicle.
- The driver fled. A short time later, the same driver was involved in a collision with another vehicle at Balsam Avenue and Maplewood Avenue. The driver fled on foot.
- A woman in the other vehicle was taken to hospital where she died.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342