SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting of Man in Chatham-Kent
Case Number: 21-OFI-293
- At approximately 10:52 p.m. on September 5, 2021, police responded to a call that indicated a man armed with guns would be at the intersection of Laurentia Drive and Rose Avenue in Tilbury.
- Officers saw the man with a crowbar outside his residence on Laurentia Drive.
- Officers deployed their Conducted Energy Weapons at the man without success. Following that, an officer discharged a firearm.
- Officers administered first aid. Upon arrival, paramedics took over care of the man and he was transported to hospital.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342