SIU Investigating Police Discharge of CEW, Man Hospitalized in Niagara Falls
Case Number: 21-OCI-280
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OCI-280
- At approximately 2:30 a.m., Niagara Regional Police Service officers on patrol saw a driver flee after a vehicle hit the curb on Lundy’s Lane in Niagara Falls.
- A CEW was deployed and the man was apprehended.
- The man became unresponsive, and officers administered Narcan as well as performed CPR.
- The man was taken to hospital and was in critical condition.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES