SIU Investigating Death of Man in Norfolk County
Case Number: 21-POD-224
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-POD-224
- At approximately 7 p.m. last night the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a call about a man acting erratically.
- Officers had an interaction with the man and saw him enter the Waterford Ponds. The officers were unable to locate the man.
- The OPP Marine Unit recovered a body at 12:14 p.m. today.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342