SIU Investigating Police Shooting in Waterloo
Case Number: 21-OFP-210
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OFP-210
- On Tuesday July 6, 2021 at about 6:00am, Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) officers responded to a report of a stolen vehicle in Kitchener.
- When officers arrived, they located a male and a female in the stolen vehicle. The occupants would not exit the vehicle. The male driver attempted to flee; at one point he drove directly at one of the officers.
- The officer discharged his firearm at the stolen truck. The driver struck some parked cars but made good his escape. It is unknown if either occupant of the stolen truck were injured.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Loida Pedro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342