SIU Investigating the Circumstances Surrounding the Death of a Male Driver who was Arrested by Police and then Died After His Admission to Hospital
Case Number: 21-TCD-179
- On June 9, 2021, TPS officers were called to Main Street and Danforth Avenue for a reported impaired driver.
- Seven TPS officers eventually responded and arrested the man. It was reported no force was applied; the arrest was recorded on In Car Camera System (ICCS).
- The man was transported to hospital where he died.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Loida Pedro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342