SIU Investigating Falling Death of Woman in North York
Case Number: 21-TCD-157
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-TCD-157
- At approximately 2 p.m. on May 18, 2021, Toronto Police Service officers attended an apartment building at 5785 Yonge Street to check on the well-being of a woman.
- Officers went to the 8th floor apartment unit, and while at the door, they spoke briefly with the woman. She then went to her bedroom to retrieve a document.
- While officers waited for the woman to return, the officers were made aware that someone had fallen from the building.
- Upon investigation, it was determined that the person who had fallen was in fact the woman who they had been speaking with. She was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342