SIU Investigating Collision in St. Thomas Between Bicycle and Cruiser
Case Number: 21-OVI-146
- At approximately 3 p.m. on May 11, 2021, a St. Thomas Police Service officer was operating his cruiser when he observed a 37-year-old man riding a bicycle on the sidewalk on Elm Street. As the man was wanted on a warrant, the officer attempted to get the man’s attention.
- In the area of Elm Street and Hepburn Avenue, there was a collision between the bicycle and cruiser.
- The man was transported to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342