SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Etobicoke Collision Between Civilian Vehicle and Police Vehicle
Case Number: 21-OVI-136
- At approximately 12:30 p.m. on March 29, 2021, officers with York Regional Police (YRP) were conducting an investigation on Riverhead Drive in Etobicoke.
- When officers attempted to stop a vehicle of interest, the vehicle fled.
- At Fallowfield Road at Riverhead Drive, the vehicle became involved in a collision with an unmarked YRP vehicle. A 22-year-old man was arrested.
- Emergency Medical Services responded to the scene but the man refused treatment. He was taken into custody.
- The man later reported to police that he had sustained a serious injury, thus invoking the SIU’s mandate.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342