SIU Investigating Falling Death of Woman in Oshawa
Case Number: 21-OCD-035
- At approximately 2 p.m. on February 1, 2021, individuals contacted the Durham Regional Police Service to report that a person was on the roof of a parking structure located at 1 Mary Street North in Oshawa.
- Upon arrival, officer located a woman on the roof and attempts were made to speak with her.
- A short time later, the woman fell seven floors to the ground below. She was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342