SIU Investigating Serious Injuries Suffered by Man After Snowmobile Crash near Belwood Lake
Case Number: 22-PVI-021
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-PVI-021
- At approximately 2:40 a.m. on January 22, 2022, Ontario Provincial Police officers from the Wellington Detachment were conducting a R.I.D.E. check in the area of North Broadway Street in Belwood near Fergus.
- Officers observed a snowmobiler driving erratically. Officers drove on Sideroad 10 and located the snowmobiler. The snowmobile fled.
- A man and snowmobile were later located in a ditch near Sideroad 10 in West Garafraxa Township. The operator is being treated for serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES