SIU Investigating After OPP Officer Shot ARWEN at Man in Norwich
Case Number: 23-PFP-105
Other News Releases Related to Case 23-PFP-105
- At approximately 2:30 p.m. on April 10, 2023, the OPP responded to a call about a man in distress at a residence on Dufferin Street.
- The man barricaded himself inside the residence. After midnight on April 11, 2023, officers entered the home out of concern for the man’s safety.
- One officer discharged an ARWEN at the man and he was apprehended under the Mental Health Act.
- The man was taken to hospital. It is unknown at this time if the man suffered any serious injury.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES