SIU Investigating Fatal Collision in Adjala–Tosorontio Township
Case Number: 21-PVD-100
- Shortly after midnight on April 3, 2021, an Ontario Provincial Police officer was operating his cruiser southbound on County Road 50 when, in the area of County Road 1, he observed a northbound pickup truck traveling at a high rate of speed.
- The officer proceeded to make a U-turn and follow the truck.
- The truck then turned west onto Adjala 20 Sideroad and stopped briefly before taking off.
- A short time later, west of Concession Road 5, the officer came upon the vehicle which was in a ditch.
- The driver was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342