SIU Investigating After Officers Discharge ARWEN and CEW at Man in Brampton
Case Number: 21-OFI-092
- At approximately 2 a.m. on March 22, 2021, an individual contacted police to report that he was in distress and intended to harm himself.
- Officers were able to locate the man in a green space in the area of Scott Street & Church Street East in Brampton.
- Soon after officers arrived, the man began to harm himself with a sharp object. Two officers responded by firing plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN) at the man, and a third officer discharged his conducted energy weapon (CEW).
- The man was transported to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342