SIU Investigating Whitby Collision Involving Stolen Police Cruiser
Case Number: 21-OVI-074
- On the evening of March 7, 2021, Durham Regional Police Service officers (DRPS) responded to a storage facility on Victoria Street in Whitby for a report of a suspicious person. While officers were investigating, an individual took off in a cruiser, and officers followed.
- At approximately 7:30 p.m., in the intersection of Garden Street and Dundas Street East, the stolen cruiser became involved in a collision with a civilian vehicle.
- From the civilian vehicle, a 69-year old-woman and a 12-year-old boy were taken to hospital where they were diagnosed with serious injuries. The 30-year-old male who was driving the stolen cruiser was also taken to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342