SIU Investigating Fatal Collision in Roseneath
Case Number: 21-PVD-064
- At approximately 9:40 p.m. on February 27, 2021, an Ontario Provincial Police officer was en route to a call, operating a police vehicle eastbound on County Road 18 in Roseneath.
- Just east of Roseneath Landing Road, the officer observed a vehicle coming towards him.
- The officer pulled over the police vehicle, and then proceeded to make a u-turn.
- A short time later, the officer came across that same vehicle in a ditch on the north side of County Road 18. The vehicle had struck a tree.
- The 62-year-old male driver was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342