Update: SIU Releases Identity of Man Fatally Shot by Police Yesterday in Downtown Toronto
Case Number: 21-TFD-059
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-TFD-059
- Five investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to the case.
- Two subject officials and seven witness officials have been designated.
- From the scene, two police-issued firearms were collected. In addition, two edged weapons and video evidence were located.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342