SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Downtown Toronto
Case Number: 21-TFD-059
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-TFD-059
- At approximately 3:30 a.m. on February 23, 2021, Toronto Police Service officers attended an apartment building at 291 George Street to conduct an investigation.
- Shortly after, officers entered a 3rd floor apartment unit and became involved in an interaction with a resident of the unit.
- Two officers discharged their firearms and the man was struck.
- He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased at 4:17 a.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342