SIU Updates Investigation into Fatal Shooting of Man in East Gwillimbury
Case Number: 21-OFD-040
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OFD-040
- Five investigators and four forensic investigators from the SIU have been assigned to the case.
- The officer who was designated as a witness official was interviewed yesterday. The two officers who were designated as subject officials have not yet been interviewed. Subject officials are under no legal obligation to speak with the SIU but may if they choose to do so.
- A canvass of the area was completed in an attempt to locate evidence and potential witnesses. Three civilian witnesses were located and interviewed. Video footage was retrieved from two sources.
- Investigators are in possession of cartridge cases and projectiles seized at the scene, as well as use of force equipment – including firearms – from the two subject officials. These will be forwarded to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for further examination. A knife located at the scene was also secured.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342